Thursday, July 23, 2009

Fly fishing for wildness





Well, it was moonwalk day, so I took off for a little adventure myself, heading for little Avery Creek, which flows into the Davidson, and tossing little yellow dry flies to quick-as-a-wink wild native rainbow trout.
They were willing, sort of, but I kept missing.
There were portions of the creek where the water opened up like a two lane highway, then it narrowed to a sidewalk-width trickle covered with dense vegetation.
I had been catching, and missing, a whole lot of little natives when I decided a sunny-looking stretch, which was hidden from view from the road because of the bushes. It turned out to be a tunnel of green, so thick I had to crawl on my hands and knees in parts.
The rhododendron hit me in the head, knocked off my hat and had me worrying if its grasping limbs would ever allow me to return to the car.
Still, a puddle here, a puddle there, and I caught fish.
If I didn't get a hit, or if I missed one, I just moved on to the next puddle or pool.
I caught a lot of tree limbs, sticks and grass.
And my fly survived, though a bit ragged for the wear.
I huffed out, following the light at the end of the tunnel, to the car.
I heaved a big sigh of relief. LIfe is grand.

No comments: