Tuesday, September 30, 2008

A perfect fall day on the stream

I was afraid that Mrs. Koontz's errands were going to get in the way of my VFT (valuable fishing time) Monday but it all turned out well since she did not have to pick up her car from the shop until 3 and the best fishing time for the day was between 12:21 and 2:07 p.m.

Those solarlunar tables hit it right on the spot. Although I did not land a lot of those little wild trout, I had plenty of action. The fish slapped at the fly repeatedly. I got hits with almost evey cast but I am not nearly quick enough to hook all of them. They are wild critters, after all.

There were just a few leaves on the water now, so that was not much of a problem hooking dead tree droppings. You could still fish a dry fly.

I did managed to hook a couple hemlocks and I lost a couple of flies during the two hours I spent on the tiny creek up the street.

There was even a small caddis hatch, and the little buggers danced in the streams of sunlight coming through the rhododendron.

It was a great day on the water. I tried again after dinner but the trout were not active at all. I quit when the rain poured out of the clouds.

No comments: